Setting S.M.A.R.T goals, which stand for Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-bound, is a fundamental strategy in crafting effective Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for students with learning differences such as dyslexia. These goals are vital because they provide a clear and structured pathway to track a student's progress, enabling focused interventions and supports.
By defining specific objectives and timelines, educators and support teams can tailor strategies that cater to a student's unique needs, promoting their academic and personal growth. Moreover, these well-defined goals facilitate better collaboration between families and educational teams, fostering a unified approach to nurturing the student's abilities and enhancing their learning experience. The ultimate aim is to foster a nurturing educational environment where students can thrive and achieve their full potential.
Dyslexia S.M.A.R.T. Goal Examples
### Goal 1: Improve Reading Fluency
- **Objective 1.1:** Over the next 3 months, the student will increase reading speed to accurately read 100 words per minute in grade-level texts, as measured by curriculum-based measurements.
- **Objective 1.2:** Within the next 6 months, the student will accurately read and recognize 90% of sight words from grade-level lists during reading activities.
### Goal 2: Enhance Phonological Awareness
- **Objective 2.1:** In the next 3 months, the student will correctly identify and manipulate phonemes in single-syllable words in 4 out of 5 opportunities, as observed by the teacher.
- **Objective 2.2:** Over the next 6 months, the student will accurately segment multi-syllabic words into individual syllables in 90% of attempts, as measured by teacher assessments.
### Goal 3: Develop Spelling Skills
- **Objective 3.1:** Within the next 3 months, the student will correctly spell 85% of grade-level appropriate words in weekly spelling tests.
- **Objective 3.2:** Over the next 6 months, the student will utilize learned spelling strategies to spell unfamiliar words with 80% accuracy in writing assignments.
### Goal 4: Enhance Writing Skills
- **Objective 4.1:** Over the next 3 months, the student will consistently use graphic organizers to outline ideas before writing, as observed by the teacher in 4 out of 5 writing assignments.
- **Objective 4.2:** In the next 6 months, the student will improve sentence construction skills to write coherent paragraphs containing 5-7 sentences with correct punctuation and capitalization in 90% of writing assignments.
### Goal 5: Boost Reading Comprehension
- **Objective 5.1:** Within the next 3 months, the student will accurately answer comprehension questions about grade-level texts in 4 out of 5 opportunities, as measured by classroom assessments.
- **Objective 5.2:** Over the next 6 months, the student will develop the skill to summarize main ideas and details of grade-level texts orally or in writing with 85% accuracy, as evaluated by the teacher.
The Oak Tree Academy mission is to improve the quality of life of people with language-based learning disabilities and their families by developing programs and disseminating knowledge based on current research.